Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Computers Are Microwaves

Typography
Project 1B:
After we completed our typeface design, we had to choose another students typeface and design something using their typeface. I chose Meghan Obrien's, called Spooked.

I thought Meghan's typeface was just dying to be hand drawn, and I came up with the idea of technology vs. hand made, making the point that there are some aspects to hand drawn designs that just cant be reproduced with a computer. So I found this wonderful quote and went with it! I hand drew the type (tracing over a printed out version, so I could get the proportions perfect since Meghan had spent so long designing them). I decided to go with a underwater theme because Meghan's typeface was so organic, and also I just love deep sea creatures. Around the quote I hand drew deep sea creatures and then scanned my drawing into the computer and placed a scanned in image of ocean water I found in an old book from the library behind the drawing. After printing out the design, I thinly traced each letter in black ink to give it another hand drawn effect, and to make the letters pop.




And here are just a couple "glam shots" of my typeface.


No comments: