Thursday, August 13, 2009

Jelly!

So I finished painting Jelly, but I can't decide if I want to outline him in pen a la Audrey Kawasaki, or not. I like him without, but the pen may bring out some of the small details like in his middle tentacles. I really can't decide and I'm too scared to try it out, because it can't really be undone! Opinions anyone?

Also, the colors are a little bright due to the light from the scanner, its a little darker/saturated in RL. The wash is painted with gouache, and the jelly is painted with acrylic.


Here's the little color/paint/ink test I did on the back of one of the side blocks, just testing things/messing around.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is my two cent advice:

If you're going to outline it then dont do it in black, do it in either a really dark grey or a tinted dark grey (with a blue, that would work with your color scheme). i agree that it needs a final touch. If you really wanted to do something like audrey you can do dark outlines around the middle section and then fade them to a lighter grey towards the end of the tentacles (that would draw more attention to the middle details and not make the outline so heavy). Avoid a heavy outline...it'll be too much for your delicate painting.
I totally understand not wanting to mess up your piece by just going for it, so if you have some print quota, print a small portion (maybe only the middle panel) of the piece and practice on that...it wont be the same but it'll give you a good idea, then you can hold it up to the panels and see what you think.
i really like your jelly painting, and i think if you did the outline it would definitely give it the final "umpf" that it needs.
you can take this advice or not, but that's what i thought. good luck!

~ellen duda (remember me?! yea that's right i read your blog!)

Meg said...

love love LOVE it! I want more! Don't forget to submit it to the Fishmarket Open Call show in November