Sunday, October 26, 2008

Do you like pancakes?

Type:
Project 07: Azif Factor
For this project we were to find two quotes from a blog entry at the Design Observer blog, one quote from the author of the article, and one quote from a comment on the article. Then we had to design two 18"x18" posters constituting a dialogue between the two posters. One of the posters had to show the Azif factor which is kind of like typography without rules... its sort of a vague term that im not sure how to explain. And then the second poster was to work in a more traditional typographic way. We were also to pick three pantone colors out of the pantone library and those were the only 3 colors we could use. This is definately my favorite type project so far. And im falling more and more in love with type. So these are mine. (Azif is first, traditional is second) Click the pictures and they will enlarge so you can read the quotes. If you dont read the quote you wont get the full effect.




Imaging
Project 06- Rebus
We had to pick a well-known phrase and create that phrase through imagery, like a rebus. Then we had to screenprint that image onto a t-shirt. This project cost a boat load of money, but it was all stuff i had wanted to buy before but could never fork out the money. Turns out the whole class bought the same screen which we were later informed were "craft screens" and wont last us very long. bleh. Im going to ask for a metal one for christmas. To create our rebus we were to find images of what we wanted and then use the pen tool (which i love now) in illustrator to create an outlined image. Then we had to clean our screen, coat it with chemicals, let dry 30 minutes, then coat with thin layer of emulsion (which is light sensitive so this had to be done basically in the dark). Then we stored our screens in a cabinet for 2 hours. Then you place your screen and image (printed on a transparency) on this special light table and it vaccum seals it and then it burns the image onto your screen in the emulsion. Then you rinse off the extra emulsion and let dry for 30 mins. Then you print by squeezing the ink through with a squegee. So i burned my image backwards the first time and had to redo it. I was banging my head on the wall when that happened. But then the rest went fine until i had to print. I only got one perfect shirt out of the 4 i bought. But at least i had a perfect one to turn in for a grade kik. Now that i look back on it, and on everyone elses, i think i definately should have made my lines thicker and it would have printed much better. But we made our images before we were taught/shown how to screen print so i didnt know thin lines would pose a problem. I had screen printed once before but it was the old school way with a screen, a piece of paper, some tape and an exacto blade. Yeah for technology!So anyways, heres my rebus. Im not going to tell you what it is, youll have to figure it out yourself. You can leave a comment if you really cant figure it out, and ill tell you, but 95% of people have gotten it. I mean not to make you feel bad or anything...
This is not my perfect print (its being graded right now) so this one is a little faded at the bottom, but you get the idea. The ink showed up much better on the other shirt.
This is a picture of all the sophomore GDers wearing our rebuses. Of course we would organize ourselves based on colors...

Further Design
First Year Algebra Book (circa 1923)
I found this book at a used book store and knew immediately what to do with it: deface it. I am officially done with math classes for the rest of my life and feat i never thought would come true. For those of you that dont know, math is my greatest nemesis. I hate everything about it. No matter how simple it is. Numbers and i dont mix. So... im covering up all the math in this book with things i think are more delightful. Such as audrey kawasaki drawings. I actually started this about a month ago, but just havent had the time to put it up here. The first drawing is a drawing of one of her paintings, and the second started out as a drawing of one segment of one of her paintings but kind of got exagerated. Its a work in progress, and im sure it will take me a long time to finish it, but my goal is to cover every page. (Theres like 200 or something)

Miscellaneous
So this is my adaptation of another one of Audrey Kawasaki's paintings. (my favorite artist if you havent noticed). I first drew this in my sketch book, then scanned it in and then put it in illustrator and outlined it with the pen tool. It represents the dual sides of my personality-- both the laid-back, care free, artsy side; and the prepared, organized, designer side. I've realized lately that i really am a contradiction in myself. But, i wouldnt have it any other way.

Original kawasaki:

Photography
So i found these photoshop actions online that are awesome and went crazy applying them to some of the photos ive taken recently. These are my favorites.

Little Italy, NY

NY, NY
Sunset at the Tetons in Wyoming.
This one is Pseudo HDR, like HDR photography. Its amazing... (Tetons)
HDR again... i loooove these bacterial mats. I could stare at them all day. My favorite part of yellostone.
Sunset at my grandparents dock in Savannah, Georgia.Retro photography. Waxhaw, NC
Chicken house in Waxhw, NC. (11,000 chicks)

Life outside design:
Sushi-- er... shrimp wontons.
State Fair
heh.
Squirrel Nut Zippers LIVE
I gave up going to the design school's halloween bash to go to a squirrel nut zippers concert at Cats Cradle, and it was so worth it. I think this is the best concert i have ever been to. I've been listening to SNZ since i was like 12 and am obsessed with them right now. They were so lively and entertaining and all so talented! Katherine Whalen has an amazing voice (and she reminds me vaguely of imogen heap). These pics arent from my concert (i didnt bring my camera) but katherine was wearing this amazing dress and 50s fedora. Jimbo Mathes was so tiny but was really energetic. And the fiddler was amazing, ive never seen someones fingers move so fast. They also did one song to the video of a cartoon (which i think is on youtube) and they sang and played along with the cartoon in the dark. Amazing concert.

Food (im such a foodie)
If you're in the area:
Red Room Tapas Bar--
great tapas, and delicious paella! (half off on thursdays)
Nofo at the Pig-- great sunday brunch. the tastiest grits ive ever had.
LocoPops-- best popcicles ever. mexican chocolate, rosemary chocolate, cranberry orange, and raspberry hibiscus are my favorites.

well that was quite a long post. but it had been a while since my last post and ive been busy! ta-ta.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

can i have the file of the pic of the sunset?? i'd love to add it to my photo collage!

Unknown said...

PS i LOOOOVE all those projects (and i get the rebus! yay!)...esp the type one, what a great quote!!