Saturday, December 5, 2009

it's december now: typography

Typography:
project 2: magazine design
My magazine, Catalyst, is about encouraging scientists and designers to work together, and how science and design are similar. I found articles dealing with my topic, and designed a feature spread (Design and the Elastic Mind) and then a secondary spread (The Bacteria Whisperer). I also designed a table of contents, letter from the editor, folio, running head, cover, spine, and subscription form. I also designed a masthead for the cover of the magazine. I hand drew the letters for the masthead, which are based on drawings of simple cells. The hand drawn type is repeated in the table of contents and in the drop caps of each article.











We stacked some of our magazine together and put them on the magazine shelf in the design library under "crit". ha.


1 comment:

jmlong3 said...

hello! ok so you said "Catalyst, is about encouraging scientists and designers to work together" what do you mean? i think it is a great idea, i am planing research on this very topic next semester and would really like to get your opinion on it.